Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of one large lemon, finely minced
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar for rolling cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until smooth and very fluffy.
- Beat in egg, vanilla extract, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and roll in sugar. Place on lined cookie sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned.
- Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
Note: my oven is...random, so I set the timer for 7 mins and kept checking. It ended up being around 9.5 mins for total doneness, but keep checking yours.
These are chewy, but not uber-soft. A nice level of resistance!
Makes approximately 24-30 cookies depending on size